UNI competes at Grand View Open

Courtesy Photo/UNI Athletics

The Panthers will compete in their first dual meet of the season on Nov. 17 at the University of Pittsburgh. UNI compiled a 6-5 overall record and 3-2 record in dual meets in their first season as an associate member of the Big 12 Conference.

FRANK WALSH, Sports Writer

The Panthers wrestling team relied on a set of lucky 13 competitors during the Grand View Open in Pleasant Hill, Iowa on Saturday.

Ten of the 13 competitors were able to place. Similar to the Harold Nichols Open in Ames a week earlier, the tournament was organized into a freshman/sophomore division and an open division with eight Panthers competing in the freshman/sophomore division and five competing in the open division.

Champions to win the freshman/sophomore division included Kyle Biscoglia, Jacob Schipper, Michael Blockhus, Cayd Lara and Tyrell Gordon. Biscoglia and Schipper both competed at 125 pounds and both forfeited to be tied for first place.

“I feel as though I competed very well,” Biscoglia said. “I felt very comfortable on the mat and it showed.”

At 141 pounds, Blockhus, a freshman, plowed through the competition and picked up two pins and a technical fall as well in the process. Blockhus was able to pin Scott Fulsos of Nebraska in the first minute-and-12-seconds of the final round.

At 157 pounds, Lara was able to win a title as well. He showed true strength as he took down everyone in the field while picking up four pins to show total domination en route to pinning Dalton Jensen of Grand View University in the finals.

In the 197-pound bracket, Gordon picks up his second championship of the season by defeating Hunter Dejong of Iowa State in the finals.

“I think I competed fairly decent,” said Gordon. “Moving forward, I can improve on every aspect of my wrestling. I think the main thing I need to work on is upping the number of attacks I hit during matches.”

For the open division at this tournament, the Panthers were able to pick up two bronze medal finishes from Austin Yant and Derek Holschlag. In Holschlag’s third-place match, he was able to defeat Justin Atkinson of Indiana Tech picking up a 13-5 major decision.

Yant showed great potential as he was able to pick up two technical-falls and one pin en route to defeating Nathan Walton of Cumberland University for an 8-7 win.

“I felt like I competed decently well,” said Yant. “I did some things well but I still have a lot to work on.”

The Panthers will be back in action on Saturday, Nov. 17 as they compete in their first dual meet of the season at the University of Pittsburgh.