Music class performs as ‘The Mod Squad’

SOFIA LEGASPI, Campus Life Editor

The Mod Squad performed at 12 p.m. during Maucker Union Live on Wednesday, Nov. 14.

The six-student band, which includes guitars, a bass, a cello, percussion and vocals, was brought together by the class “Modern Band and Creative Music Making.” Instructed by associate music professor Kevin Droe, the class meets every Thursday evening to learn instruments with modern songs.

“It’s more learning about the modern kind of skills in modern music versus — a lot of the UNI School of Music is about classically trained singing and classically trained instruments,” said Siena Fah, a senior music major. “So it’s a really cool way to get a new experience in music.”

While Fah said she primarily functions as a vocalist for the band, she also played bass during their performance and has grown her skills on the drums and guitar through the class.

“The way it works with this band is we all just started at the introductory level, learning all of the instruments,” Fah said. “So the whole point of it is to get us all to experience each aspect of being in a modern band, and it’s been a really cool thing.”

Other students in the Mod Squad were Daniel Benson, Hiroto Ishihara, Kaleb Mast, Haley Nicholson and Joley Seitz. Their set lasted about 30 minutes and included “Little Black Submarines” by The Black Keys, “I’m Not The Only One” by Sam Smith and “Let It Be” by the Beatles, among other songs.

The group’s final performance will take place on Thursday, Dec. 6 at 6 p.m. in Bengtson Auditorium, Russell Hall.

While the current Mod Squad will disband once the semester ends, Fah emphasized that the class would be offered again next semester.

“If you ever want to learn an instrument, you should definitely consider this class,” Fah said. “This is the perfect class if you’re not sure about, you know, how you can learn how to play something, but you want to try it out — this is definitely the class you should take.”

The class is open to both non-music majors and music majors and can be found under the course name “MUS ED 3159.” Students seeking more information can email Kevin Droe at [email protected]