Student Wellness Services offers wellness coaching

Student Wellness Services Graduate Assistant Beth Chaney pens a guest column about the new service they are offering, Wellness Coaching. Wellness Coaching focuses on the eight dimensions of well-being and helps students use their strengths to their advantage.

COURTESY PHOTO

Guest Column

Editor’s Note: This guest column was submitted by Student Wellness Services.

Have you heard of Wellness Coaching yet? Wellness Coaching is a way for students to create the life they want by exploring their strengths and focusing on their health and well-being. Through the process of coaching, they may increase self-awareness and self-efficacy, achieve goals and have an increased sense of life satisfaction, purpose and meaning. As students, you may see personal growth in areas such as stress management, eating well, physical activity, sleep, financial management, relationships and other wellness areas.

Trained Wellness Coaches will partner with students in a thought-provoking and creative process inspiring them to maximize their potential. Coaches view students as the experts of their lives, providing support and guidance through the process of becoming the best version of themselves. The eight dimensions of a wellness model are utilized (intellectual, emotional, spiritual, environmental, financial, occupational, social and physical) to assess which wellness dimension(s) the student’s goal will address.

Wellness coaches utilize a strengths assessment developed through the VIA Institute on Character. Each student is expected to complete the assessment prior to the first appointment with the coach. The coach reviews the assessment before meeting with them and refers to the strengths throughout the coaching process. The following video provides an overview of these character strengths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-rOelLciE.

If you still don’t think Wellness Coaching is all it’s cracked up to be, listen to what students found most helpful about Wellness Coaching:

“Being able to set goals and figure out how to overcome obstacles that might be in the way with them.”

“Taking the test to find out what my strengths are and using them to be successful.”

“It gave me realistic steps that I needed to achieve my goals.”

“Looking at the strengths quiz is always helpful because when there is a problem you can be pointed in the direction of your strengths and decide the best way for YOU to solve the problem using your own set of skills.”

Wellness Coaching is free for all currently enrolled UNI students. On average, sessions last about 45 minutes, and the number of sessions depends on the individual needs of each student. Wellness Coaching sessions take place in the Student Health Center. Graduate students and professional staff have been trained to provide wellness coaching. Students can make an appointment by visiting: https://studentwellness.uni.edu/wellness-coaching. Come check it out!

— Beth Chaney, Student Wellness Services Graduate Assistant