NISG releases student body election information

SYDNEY HAUER, Executive Editor | [email protected]

On Thursday, Jan. 24, Northern Iowa Student Government (NISG) released information regarding the 2019 NISG Student Body Elections.

This year’s election will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 26 and Wednesday, Feb. 27, according to the press release.

David Konfrst, director of public relations, said that any student who wishes to create change on campus may run. The positions included in the student body election are president, vice president and Senate positions.

“There’s a common misperception that NISG only approves bills, student organizations and has elections,” said Konfrst. “The majority of the initiatives that NISG does [are] created by the senators and by the board of directors. Students have opportunities to tackle any kind of project that they think will benefit the student body.”

Konfrst cited NISG Senator Katie Wempen’s initiative to offer free menstrual products to students as an example of what students can do once involved with NISG.

Students who decide to run in the election must email the Election Commission, Cole Passick, and set up a brief meeting. This can be done at [email protected]. During this meeting, those interested will receive information regarding their candidacy.

Konfrst explained that order to be placed on the official ballot, students running for president and vice president must acquire a certain number of signatures from each college, and senators from their own respective college.

Students running for positions will campaign from Monday, Feb. 11 to Wednesday, Feb. 27, and the NISG Presidential Debate will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 20.

More information about the student body elections can be found on the NISG website.