Skeptics promote Darwin week

DANIELLE NARDINI, Staff Writer

The UNI Freethinkers & Inquirer’s (UNIFI) annual lecture series, Darwin Week, begins Monday, Feb. 8, and runs through Feb. 11 with this year’s theme being skepticism. This is the eighth Darwin Week at UNI; the event seems to grow in popularity each year.

“Darwin Week was started by UNIFI as a way to commemorate Charles Darwin’s work and his notable contributions to the field of science, with the event taking place during Darwin’s birthday [week],” said vice president of UNIFI, Natalie Kaufman. “Since then, it has been expanded to celebrating various aspects of life, culture, nature and science.”

The speakers this year vary from UNI faculty members to authors to keynote speakers such as Michael Shermer, TED speaker and founder of Skeptic magazine. Shermer’s TEDtalks promote rational thought and skepticism, with one titled: “Why People Believe Weird Things.”

The lectures are traditionally well-attended.

“During the day-talks, [before the keynote] we can expect between 20 to 40 audience members in attendance from hour to hour. During the keynote speakers, attendance, as expected, usually increases to around 60, sometimes 80 audience members,” said Jesse Moeller, UNIFI’s public relations director.

According to Heather Applegate, the UNIFI director of activities, the events will be much more than just an educational lecture series.

“There will be plenty of facts and concepts to learn — that is the nature of educational events — but sometimes students can learn a lot about themselves. When students choose to think critically about their lives, actions, environments, and potential contributions to the world through research, advocacy, and everyday interactions, they will have a better view of how important they are in our universe,” Applegate said.

Megan Alexander, freshman nursing major, said she was eager to hear a speech about a certain topic that deals with her future plans.

“I’m excited to hear a speaker from my hometown of Des Moines,” Alexander said. “He’s going to be talking about cancer, and I will be treating patients with cancer in the future, so this really interests me because it has to do with my career.”

A variety of faculty professors will also be speaking on a number of topics related to skepticism, such as the creation of the Bible,  the relationship between religion and science, and the “art of questioning.”

Kimberly MacLin, professor of psychology, will be speaking on a topic she said would be of interest to most attendees.

“I’ll be talking about the practical benefits and the scientific evidence that supports not falling into the trap of just striving to ‘be happy’ and instead turning a critical eye on your own goals, motivation and abilities in order to plan for and create a creative, fulfilling and productive life,” MacLin said.

All of the events will be held in the Center for Multicultural Education. More information, including a schedule for the whole week, can be found on www.darwinweek.com.