SWS guest column: National Eating Disorder Awareness Week events to begin next week

MCT

Johnny Righini shops for produce at Sigona’s Farmers Market in Redwood City, Calif., on August 21, 2014. Righini is in recovery for what eating disorder experts call orthorexia, an obsession with healthy eating that can be physically and mentally debilitating.

Grace McNamara, Social Media/Marketing Assistant for Student Wellness Services

Many people in today’s world believe that thinner is better. Society tends to bombard us with messages that say — thinner is healthier, thinner is more beautiful, and thinner people are happier.

This type of thinking can lead to a poor body image and even disordered eating.

It is very difficult to normalize eating and love every body type when the media and others around you are constantly talking about dieting, calories, carbs, fat, and weight. We need to stop that mentality.

In the United States, 20 million women and 10 million men suffer from a clinically significant eating disorder at some point in their life.

Many college students suffer in silence and do not seek out counseling or professional help. It’s important that we, as a campus, create awareness to help students avoid mistaken attitudes about food, weight, and body image. We need to recognize that eating disorders are not a fad, phase, or lifestyle choice. These disorders are complex and potentially life-threatening.

Irregular eating habits, constant worry about body image, a rigid exercise plan or anxiety and guilt before and after a meal, to name a few, can be signs of an eating disorder.

However, not all eating disorders are driven by the need to be skinny.  Oftentimes there are underlying issues that contribute to the development of an eating disorder.

There are different types of eating disorders as well. The common diagnosable eating disorders include: anorexia nervosa, binge-eating disorder, bulimia nervosa and eating disorders not specified (EDNOS).

So, what can we do about it? To start, we can increase awareness about the disorder and encourage everyone to value themselves based on goals, accomplishments, talents and character.

Getting the word out is the next step. Students should know of the professional help and resources that are available to them. The Student Wellness Services website offers some great information about healthy eating and other eating concerns: https://uni.edu/studentwellness/eating-well. We also offer events and activities to get students involved and educated.

National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, also known as Youniquely Beautiful Week to UNI Student Wellness Services, is Feb. 26 through March 4. Join us for empowering events all week long that will challenge the way we see beauty and increase body positivity.

Even if you aren’t personally affected by an eating disorder, these events will teach you how to help someone who might be dealing with it.

Monday:

Positive Post-it Campaign, Love the “Genes” You’re In Display in MU, Youniquely Beautiful Display in Maucker Union

Tuesday:

Youniquely Beautiful Display in Maucker Union 11am- 2pm, Eating Disorder Panel Discussion 6pm CBB 109

Wednesday:

Positive Post-it Campaign, Love the “Genes” You’re In Display in MU, Youniquely Beautiful Display, WRC

Thursday:

No DIET Day!, BIEDA meeting at 7pm in the MU Oak Room.

BIEDA (Body Image & Eating Disorder Awareness) is a new student organization on campus that focuses on fostering positive body image and raising awareness about eating disorders and resources on campus.  Check them out to learn how to love and accept your body. 

Friday:

Positive Post-It Note Campaign, Love the “Genes” You’re In Display in MU, Youniquely Beautiful Display in the WRC

For help, contact the Student Health clinic at 319-273-2009 or the UNI Counseling Center at 319-273-2137.

Remember, happiness is not size specific. Let’s celebrate self-love!