Recognizing hunger: speaker addresses how to be more in tune with your body

The University of Northern Iowa recently brought in award-winning dietician Evelyn Tribole to answer a question we all face: how do we really know if we are feeling hungry? Tribole gave the lecture “Make Peace with Food and Your Body — Rediscover the Pleasures of Eating” Sept. 10 in Lang Hall.

“Hosting Evelyn Tribole is a reflection of the investment UNI has in the health of its community,” said Joan Thompson, health educator in UNI’s Wellness and Recreation Services. “Tribole’s message is one that helps to create a healthy relationship with food, which contributes to a healthy and happy life.”

Tribole’s aim was to get rid of society’s way of thinking about dieting and to introduce the audience to intuitive thinking, which involves looking for and identifying our body’s natural signals of hunger and food preferences and acting on them.

“Every emotional feeling has its own physical sensation and so there is a lot that can happen when you connect to your body,” said Tribole in her lecture. “When someone is dieting they are not connecting with their body; they are living in their head.”

Tribole has co-authored the book “Intuitive Eating” and she also runs a nutrition counseling practice in California.

“I thought it was great to get the knowledge out to the public, because obviously not all of them get to see dietitians on an individual basis, so (Tribole) was able to reach more people this way to get the message out,” said Alisa Christoffel, a registered dietician who attended the lecture.

Marie Stigliani of Cedar Falls was one of 630 people in attendance.

“One of my daughters has an eating disorder, so ever since that happened I have been really interested in nutrition health,” said Stigliani.

Thompson said she thought the event was a success based on the number of people that showed up.

“I think Evelyn Tribole had a great message of becoming more in tune with our bodies, and just the numbers of people that were here tonight reflects the need for the information about how to balance out the information, about how to make it more personal to our need,” said Thompson.

Tribole was also ecstatic to see so many people in the audience.

“It was a nice energy from the group of people too,” said Tribole.