Schon sets meet record at Redbird Spring Invitational

The University of Northern Iowa track and field team traveled to Normal, Ill., where they competed in the Redbird Spring Invitational, the last meet until the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, this Wednesday.

Senior Scotti Schon was able to leave the Redbird Spring Invite with a first-place finish in the women’s 1,500-meter race and a new meet record in the event.

Schon cruised through the event and recorded a time of 4 minutes, 33.65 seconds for the win and the record to set the tone for the Panthers in the meet.

She was followed closely by teammate Alex Wilson, who recorded a time of 4:35.13 seconds for a Panther first- and second-place finish.

The Panthers finished strong in the 1,500- meter race on the men’s side Calivin Kibby, the only UNI runner, ran a personal-best time of 3:52.31 in the event, enough to get the first-place finish.

Rachel Burns kicked off the throwing events for the women with the javelin throw. Burns came away with the win for the first time in her collegiate career.

Her throw of 120 feet, 7 inches won the event and set a new personal best.

The throwers continued to put together a solid weekend and were led by Jordan Williams, who continued his winning streak in the men’s discus throw with a throw of 178-5, a throw that was 13 feet farther than Illinois State University thrower Kyle Lambardino’s second-place toss.

Justin Baker also walked away with a first-place throw in the men’s shot put with a heave of 55-9.75.

Women’s thrower Jamie Lindstrom set a new personal best in the shot put with a throw of 44-9.75, earning her a second-place finish. She also finished with a close second-place finish in the discus throw with a toss of 133-11.

The men’s 200-meter dash was taken over by the Panthers as they took the top three spots in the event. Jordan Guske was able to take first place with a time of 22.28 seconds, a new meet record. He was followed closely by teammates Jesse Davenport and Sheldon Magee, who helped sweep the event for the Panthers.

The men wrapped up the meet with a first-place finish in the 4×400 meter relay. Davenport, Guske, Magee and Ryan Newtoff finished what was a very solid meet with a time of 3:16.68 in the event.

Starting Wednesday, April 24, UNI will be heading to Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, to compete in the Drake Relays. The event will run through Saturday, April 27.