Shuttle running out of steam

UNI’s Panther Shuttle is a free and convenient service for students, but it may be in jeopardy next year. For about three years, funding for the Panther Shuttle, which runs from 7:04 a.m. to 5:04 p.m. every weekday, has been $30,000 in the red, according to Thomas Madsen, former Northern Iowa Student Government president.

In 2012, NISG proposed a plan for the Hillcrest, University Mills and Campus Courts apartment complexes to pay $10,000 each for advertising on the shuttle, as the bus stops at each of these complexes. NISG did this so they wouldn’t have to pay $30,000 from the Student Services Fee.

“There were lots of conversations between last year’s student body president trying to get something figured out, but nothing ever materialized,” Madsen said.

The fact that the contracts hadn’t been signed came as a surprise to Madsen’s administration. Madsen then met with the complexes, revised the contracts and has been waiting about three months for them to sign the contracts.

“Now they have the physical contracts, so for us it’s more of a waiting game,” Madsen said.

Because Madsen has left office, the issue has been passed to Kevin Gartman, next year’s NISG president.

“Kevin’s going to have to make some tough decisions,” Madsen said.

While Madsen plans on helping him during his time in office, Gartman already has plans for the complexes and hopes to sit down with them and talk through the contracts.

“In my experience, the best way to get things done is by working proactively and in person,” Gartman said.

However, he may soon move to alternative solutions if the complexes don’t complete the signing.

Gartman said he will consider concocting new routes for the bus, eliminating the complexes from those routes altogether or cutting routes at certain times of the day or year.

“With all of these options, it is important to put the best interests of the students as first priority,” Gartman said. “As I am taking office, I’ll be exploring multiple options with this always in mind.”

Since the apartment complexes are on the Panther Shuttle route, they are also on the free SafeRide route, which takes students between College Hill and Main Street from 9:55 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights.

“It’s time for them to pay their fair share,” said Madsen.