Split track and field squad records promising performances

The University of Northern Iowa track and field team went separate ways, with part of the team taking part in the John Jacobs Invitational and the rest competing at the Iowa Invitational.

At the John Jacobs Invitational in Norman, Okla., Holli Hosch had a strong performance in the 800 meters. Hosch just missed setting the school record with a career-best time of 2:08.92 to earn runner-up honors. The performance puts Hosch second on the UNI all-time best list and gives her the second best time in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Carly Olsen finished in third place with a time of 4:40.50 in the 1500 meters, finishing just ahead of teammate Caedryn Shrunk, who took fifth with a time of 4:44.45. Courtney Landers earned runner-up honors in the hammer throw with a heave of 175-11, while Traci Harms took fourth with a toss of 161-11. In the javelin Emily Prinsen had a toss of 128-04 to take third place.

Giorgio Giurdanella took top honors in the 100-meter dash on the men’s side. He clocked in with a career best 10.65 ahead of teammate Alvin Cole who took third place with a time of 10.76. Rupert Bannerman-Thompson took fifth with a time of 10.86. Giurdanella tied his career-best time in the 200 meters with a time of 21.69 to take second place.

Julian Morris cleared 6-08 ¾ in the high jump, which earned him a third place finish. Cole took fourth place in the long jump with a leap of 22-11. Justin Romero and Jordan Williams took third and fifth, respectively, in the shot put. Romero had a heave of 53-08 ½ and Williams had a toss of 51-00 ¼.

In the discus UNI took third, fourth and fifth place. Allen Weeks had a season-best throw of 164-08 for third place. Tanner Hurt and Williams fell just short of Weeks to take fourth and fifth place, respectively. Hurt had career-best toss in the hammer throw, 182-02, which was a 12-foot improvement from his previous personal best. The toss earned Hurt runner-up honors.

At the Iowa Invitational UNI had an extremely strong showing in the 3000 meters by taking the top three spots. Danielle Nowasell (10:24.10) finished ahead of Leah Blanchard (10:32.88) and Jill Lageschulte (10:38.53). Kayla Selby took third place in the 200 meters with a time of 26.32 and Scotti Schon finished in third place (4:45.31) in the 1500 meters.

On the men’s side Mike Malone set a new personal-best time (15.26) in the 110-meter hurdles to earn runner-up honors. Aaron Vosberg finished fourth in the 1500 meters with a season-best time of 4:01.31.

The Panthers return to action next weekend when they head back to Des Moines to run on the big blue track. The Panthers will take part in the Drake Relays April 21-24.