Strayer-Wood Theatre brings spin on Shakespeare

With the sound of crashing waves and Madonna’s “Like a Virgin” playing throughout Strayer-Wood Theatre, the sunny boardwalks of Venice Beach, Calif., began to stir with people. Residents and tourists came onstage longboarding, playing guitar, pushing a stroller and holding a surfboard. Outside the Rialto Caf?, a sunhat-wearing family looked at a sunglasses stand. They were distracted by the man who rode by in bright blue on a unicycle. The colors and patters of everyone’s clothing set the scene for the 1980s adventure about to take place.

Directed by Richard Glockner, “Merchant of Venice (Beach)!” put a 1980s spin on the classic comedy “The Merchant of Venice,” written by William Shakespeare in the late 1500s. With rehearsals beginning in February, University of Northern Iowa students and faculty have been working around the clock to prepare for the show. The Strayer-Wood Theatre premiered the show on Thursday, April 11 and ran the show through April 21.

The play began as Antonio, a merchant who lives in Venice Beach, discussed his investments and cash with his friend Bassanio. Bassanio, played by Alyx Way, senior theatre performance and theatre for youth double major, is in love with Portia, but is in need of a $30,000 loan from Antonio in order to fund his venture to woo his lass.

However, Antonio, played by senior theatre performance major Clay Swanson, said all his fortunes “are at sea.”

But Portia, played by junior theatre performance major Chelsea Miller, cannot readily marry.

“I may neither choose whom I would nor refuse whom I dislike; so is the will of a living daughter curbed by the will of a dead father,” cried a desperate Portia, as she sat on zebra print chairs in her sporty tennis dress.

As part of her father’s will, her suitor must pick the correct chest of three in order to marry her.

Staged as a 1980s dating game show, complete with live camera and crew, “Belle Heiress” showed the trials and tribulations of Portia and the suitors as each tried their hand at picking the correct chest.

“Some God, guide my judgement,” exclaimed a frustrated Prince of Morocco, played by Andre Tate.

As the television show was filmed, and Portia’s fate determined, Antonio and Bassanio visited Shylock, a rich Jew in Venice Beach. Antonio is Christian, and as such, he and Shylock have a strong history and hatred for one another.

“I hate him, for he is a Christian. He hates our sacred nation,” screamed Shylock, played by professional actor Larry Paulsen. “Cursed be my tribe if I forgive him.”

Shylock lent the $30,000 with no interest to Antonio on one condition: If Antonio does not pay the entire amount in full by the specified date, Shylock is to be rewarded with one pound of Antonio’s flesh.

As the play progressed, a series of events thwarted everyone’s plans. The result was a “Judge Judy”-esque trial show hosted by Judge Jaq’kee, played by Valerie Vivian, senior theatre performance major. Jaq’kee determined the fate of Antonio and Shylock. Along with the trial, cross-dressing females, reunited familial ties and lovers and a prank that will forever go down in the April Fools history book intertwined with the main plot line and tale of “The Merchant.”

“It’s not as confusing as it looks on paper,” said Mic Evans, freshman theatre performance major. “It’s a story of love, faith and humanity.”

The anti-Semitism of Shakespeare’s original play was toned down for this rendition of “The Merchant of Venice.” According to Glockner in the director’s notes, the treatment of Shylock by the Christians in the 1980s would have been shocking and offensive to 21st century audiences.12