Stressed-Out Students

With midterms in the rear-view mirror, planning next semester’s classes straight ahead and projects, papers and tests just around the corner, students are feeling the pressure.

“Stress has two sides. On the negative side, it can be really hard to manage. However, looking back, stress has forced me to get a lot of things done and in the end it pays off,” said Jack Beaumont, junior earth science major. “Stress can define you in a way. You just have to make the best out of it.”
Beaumont studies an average of thirty-five hours a week and takes 16 credit hours. As a member of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, he spends much of his free time with the men’s music fraternity. On average, Beaumont gets six hours of sleep a night. To handle stress, he will go for a brisk 15-20 minute walk.

“I like to listen to music or call up a friend to take a break every once and a while,” said Beaumont.

John Gogola, senior social sciences major, has to juggle work, school and extra curricular activities. He spends on average 10 hours a week studying for his 12-credit load this semester. He is the president of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, and his corresponding obligations and responsibilities occupy about 15 hours of his time a week. Gogola also works about twenty hours a week.

“I have lots of things that keep me busy,” said Gogola.

However, he said this year is not too tough and he has a lot of free time. To relieve stress, Gogola talks to his girlfriend and fraternity brothers.

Vivian Meade, sophomore early childhood education major, is a resident assistant and has to deal with a lot of stress. Meade said she spends around 15 hours a week studying for her classes, but is fortunate to have a few online classes where she can work in the comfort of her own dorm room. As an RA, she dedicates about 30 hours a week to serving her residents. Meade is also involved in the Panther Marching Band and spends a great deal of time practicing. When she finds herself stressed out, Meade colors or plays music.

“I wish professors were more sympathetic of our obligations outside of the classroom,” said Meade.

However, professors have their own stress.

“Students don’t understand the stress we are under,” said an anonymous professor.

Another anonymous professor said, “We are prepared for class everyday, why shouldn’t students?”

A majority of professors interviewed were reluctant about being more sympathetic toward stressed out students. They are hesitant to give students too much slack as they fear students will not get enough out of the class.

However, many professors said they would be more understanding if a student talked to them during their office hours.

Other instructors said they understand what students go through, having been students themselves.

“Sometimes I will go easy on (students) and have a work day in class instead of another lecture,” said one professor.

UNI offers students several health and wellness resources, such as counseling and professional advice. For more information about how to manage stress or to get help, consult the UNI website under “wellness and recreation services.”