Executive Editor bids farewell

Executive Editor Sydney Hauer bids farewell to her staff and the readers of the Northern Iowan upon graduation.

SYDNEY HAUER, Executive Editor | [email protected]

As my five years at UNI come to an end, it’s hard to believe that I am about to walk away from what has been my home for a half of a decade. It’s hard to emotionally process it all with all that still needs to be accomplished before I walk across the stage at graduation.

Having been granted the opportunity to be the Executive Editor of the Northern Iowan over the past school year is something I will never forget. The position is exciting, and you end up knowing way more about the inner workings of campus than you’d ever expected to. In this position, you are an open receptacle that people continually drop information in, hoping you will be able to do your due diligence and share it with the student body.

My time as Executive Editor has not been easy, and it would have been unimaginable without my incredible staff by my side. I’ve learned that having a reliable team is the most important thing, and I want to thank each and every one of them for what they’ve done for the newspaper this year. 

To Gabby, my successor: You keep us afloat. Your passion and love for this newspaper is unmatched and I am more than confident in your ability to take over my position next year. I see you already settling in to the position and taking even more initiative than you already have in the past, and I’m so happy that I’m leaving the paper in such qualified. Thank you for your willingness to go above and beyond for the sake of the paper each and every time, and for the help you gave me especially as I was just starting out in the position. We couldn’t be luckier to have someone like you on our staff. In addition to all of that, thank you for being an amazing and supportive friend. I will never forget our New York trip. “There she is. Lady Liberty.”

To Eliot: You have really grown into your position over the past semester and I believe that you now have the skillset to find a great job in the field. You stepped into the position as a natural leader, and one who was not afraid to get serious if things weren’t going the way you wanted them to with your sports writers. Thank you for your hard work. 

To Sofia: Having you on our staff as the Campus Life Editor has been a blessing. Your organizational skills and forward thinking set you apart and we are so lucky to have you. I have loved working with you each and every layout, and I know you will absolutely find success in your future.

To Brody: I am so glad you applied to become our new copy editor in the fall. Working with you has been delightful and I’m glad you got to read so many books during down time. I hope that someday you start your own “Sex and the City,” Carrie Bradshaw-style advice column. I would read it, and I think others would too. But on a more serious note, your opinion columns often moved me to tears. You’re going to do great things post-graduation. 

To Michael: I feel so terrible that you had so much trouble getting people to take your stories and had to often write stories last minute at layout, but you always made the best of it and made us all laugh while doing it. You always had something interesting to say at every layout and it’s been a pleasure working with you. I wish you the best of luck in your future with your acting pursuits. I believe in you.

To Sierra: Without you, the paper literally would not be able to function. Your role is so crucial and you do it so well. I don’t know what we would do without you. It’s been great being able to work with you and talk to you when we occasionally cross paths in the office.

To Laura: Thank you for everything you’ve done to help us out this year, from organizing and teaching the writer’s workshop to helping us come up with better ledes and headlines. You enhance the paper with your creativity, and we all sincerely appreciate it.

And Michele: Thank you for your dedication, taking care of all of us, and believing in me. Not one of us has ever doubted how much you care about the NI or us as individuals. We appreciate everything you do for us.

I also want to thank our readers. Without you, the work we do here would have no point. Thank you for letting us keep you in the know, and please allow the NI to continue doing so. 

I will miss you all greatly, and it feels weird that it is suddenly coming to an end. I am excited to see from afar what the NI will do next year, and I have no doubt whatsoever that it will continue to do great things in such good hands.