Students quest for a cure

Clusters of students ran rampant Friday afternoon, determined to complete the annual Quest to Unravel Alzheimer’s Scavenger Hunt. The hunt raised awareness and $10,064 in funds for the Alzheimer’s Association.

“It really does spread good awareness for Alzheimer’s, and it was a lot of fun,” said Mike Lieb, junior electronic media major. “I think the whole fundraising thing, they did a really good job of reminding you what it’s for: Alzheimer’s awareness, donating and trying to make a difference.”

Over 150 people participated and separated out into 20 teams to compete in the challenge.

Hidden around campus and College Hill were a total of 36 clues and QUASH spots. At these spots, the teams participated in both mental and physical challenges.

A board of 10 volunteer UNI students, known as the Q-crew, helped Alzeheimer’s Association staff members plan QUASH challenges, such as the one called “Cheese Head.”

For this challenge, one team member put on a shower cap and spread shaving cream on their head. The person’s teammates then threw cheese puffs and tried to get them to stick to the shaving cream.

Other challenges included the game of memory and filling in missing song lyrics.

“It is a rather large event with the setup and all that kind of stuff, but, like I said, we’re lucky enough to have (the Q-crew) to be dedicated to our cause,” said Chris Hofeldt, an Alzheimer’s Association staff member.

Some participants came in costumes. Team costumes included Mario characters, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, “Despicable Me” minions and a science lab-themed team. The winning team, who scored 780 points out of 800, was NSCS #1.

Hofeldt said he hoped students had fun, but that they also learned something about Alzeheimer’s disease.

“ … I really want them to take away how serious this disease is and know that if it hasn’t impacted them yet, eventually it will,” Hofeldt said. “There is no cure, no prevention or anything like that, so it’s really important that we get the younger generations involved as well.”