Surprising matchup should lead to exciting game

Like a majority of prognosticators, I had fully intended on writing a preview for a Florida and Kentucky NCAA Championship game. I had even begun making my case for a Kentucky upset, even though they have arguably the most complete team in college basketball. Then the University of Connecticut happened.

Not only did UConn hold Florida’s strong offensive team to only 53 points, but they did it in a convincing fashion. After falling behind 16-4 early, UConn stormed back to gain a 25-22 advantage at the half. UConn then continued on toward its eventual 63-53 win, leaving no doubt as to who the better team was that night.

This major upset makes predicting the final game harder, because as hot as UConn is right now, Kentucky might be even hotter.

Kentucky’s Aaron Harrison hit what seemed like his 100th game winner of the tournament to put the cap on another wildly entertaining game in which Wisconsin was dealt a heartbreaking 74-73 loss. It was reminiscent of the way he dispatched Michigan in the previous game, and it could be a foreshadowing of things to come for UConn if the Wildcats have their way.

So the public is left with a matchup of two unlikely but somehow fitting teams to close out this wild college hoops season. The Huskies recently have put the clamps down on teams with their absolutely stifling defense while Kentucky has looked downright dominant offensively, which brings euphemisms about unstoppable forces and immovable objects to mind.

The seeds may read seven and eight, but make no mistake this is certainly a heavyweight bout.

Kentucky is riddled with former McDonald’s All-Americans, but UConn, led by point guard Shabazz Napier, has plenty of talent to go around as well. Both teams dispatched a slew of title contenders on the way to the big game, and both are on momentum-fueled runs set on a collision course that is sure to make some noise.

Making predictions is a futile endeavor for the most part, and this one is so close that flipping a coin would probably be a comparable tactic, but my gut feeling is telling me that Kentucky is destined to cut down the nets tonight.

Both of these runs have been magical in their own right, but I think Kentucky’s ridiculous surplus of talent and manic work on the boards will give them the slight edge they need to take a crowbar to that immovable object.

But whatever happens, I think fans will be rewarded with a highly competitive game that’ll go down to the final minutes, and that’s a prediction I’m far more comfortable making.