UNI defeats Missouri 24-10

On the night the University of Northern Iowa wrestling team honored U.S. troops, the Panthers showed they too have some fight in them by defeating a second top-10 ranked opponent.

Like they have done all season, UNI got off to a quick start on Friday, winning the first three matches en route to a 24-10 victory over seventh-ranked University of Missouri in front of a packed West Gym.

With the victory, UNI became one of only three top-10 ranked teams to remain undefeated. The other two are Penn State University and Cornell University.

To begin the meet, Dylan Peters won his 22nd match of the season with an 8-4 victory over Barlow McGhee.

At 133 pounds, Joe Colon retained his undefeated UNI-career record with an 8-1 decision over Matt Manley.

Joey Lazor also hit an impressive career milestone, earning his 76th career victory in a tough battle with Trevor Jauch, winning in a 5-4 decision.

At 157 pounds, Jarrett Jensen earned a vital victory for the Panthers in a 4-1 decision over Joey Lavallee.

Entering as the second-ranked wrestler in the Mid-American Conference at 165 pounds, Cooper Moore took down one of the MAC’s best, Zach Toal. Moore took full advantage, defeating Toal in a 6-2 decision.

At 174 pounds, Cody Caldwell got over .500 in conference competition with a 10-7 decision over Mickey England.

Ryan Loder, who hasn’t lost in a dual meet since 2010-11, may have done his best work on Friday. Tenth-ranked Johnny Ellen fell victim to an incredibly motivated Loder, who pinned Ellen just 25 seconds into the match.

Blaize Cabell finished the meet on a high note for the Panthers, defeating Devin Mellon in a 6-5 decision.

UNI will be back in action Feb. 1 when they host a triangular meet against Ohio University and South Dakota State University.