UNI down, not out for season finish

No one said it would be easy.

Even when the University of Northern Iowa football team started the season 4-0, there were a lot of question marks heading into Missouri Valley Football Conference play.

As if that wasn’t enough, the Panthers lost their leading tackler and starting middle linebacker Jake Farley during their first conference game against North Dakota State University. UNI gave up a late touchdown and lost that game, which looked like a victory early on, hitting a low point in the season.

If only we had known then what we know now.

Just three weeks after the Panthers picked up their fourth win of the season to remain undefeated, they lost their third straight game to South Dakota University. It’s the new lowlight of what has quickly started to look like a stinker of a season.

But there are still plenty of reasons for this Panther team to keep their chins held high.

Five games remain in the season, and all five games are winnable. The past three games may have been the toughest stretch in a schedule for any team in the country, so while they didn’t turn out the way UNI wanted them to, it shouldn’t be taken as a lack of talent.

If the Panthers can win out, it would give them a 9-3 record, which should be good enough to receive an at-large birth to the expanded Football Championship Subdivision playoffs. The FCS has added four teams to the postseason this year, with the grand total now at 24.

If UNI can reach the playoffs, anything is possible. The question is, can they get there?
The injuries are an obvious concern. David Johnson looks like he has returned to full health after suffering a hip pointer a few weeks ago, which is a great sign. Johnson may be the biggest key to this Panther team, but they have four offensive starters out for the season — two of who have never played a single down this year.

Farley was the leader of the defense, which has become less-than-par with his absence. It will be up to them, mainly the defensive secondary, to carry UNI to the postseason.

With a less than stellar list of opponents remaining and a healthy David Johnson, this team has what it takes to make a run at a national championship. It has been a rough three weeks, we can all agree to that, but don’t jump off the UNI bandwagon just yet.

The season is far from over.