UNI holds African-American Read-In

First and second graders from Black Hawk Elementary and the Walter Cunningham School of Excellence joined University of Northern Iowa students Monday for the fourth annual African-American Read-In held in Maucker Union.

Intended to promote literacy among youth, the read-in offered elementary students the opportunity to read books by black authors and illustrators as well as connect with UNI students.

Featured black author and illustrator Jan Spivey Gilchrist, a UNI graduate, shared stories and drawings with students in the Rod Library as part of the event.

Students also participated in one or more art activities.

“You’re all these colors,” said Danny Kruger, 7, a student at Black Hawk Elementary.

Kruger drew his mentor, UNI student Adam Hinrichsen, as a blue, black and green man sitting around a picnic table during a chocolate milk, chocolate syrup and chocolate ice cream rainstorm.

“(It) flooded all over the food, but the food has umbrellas,” Kruger said.

Event organizer Janet McClain stressed the importance of involving both UNI students and local elementary students in the read-in.

“We wouldn’t be able to put it on if it wasn’t for UNI students,” McClain said. “It’s a nice connection because we’re having kids from Waterloo and Cedar Falls come on campus. First and second graders don’t always get an opportunity to come on campus, so this is a good incentive for them to be thinking about college, hopefully UNI, and to be able to see UNI students in a leadership role.

“I feel the kids can relate to UNI students real easily, and it’s a good opportunity for UNI students to work with a diverse population of kids and to be in a whole other role than just being a UNI student,” McClain concluded.