UNI professor overcomes breast cancer and looks to the future

A week before school started at the University of Northern Iowa in 2012, Gowri Gulwadi, associate professor of interior design went to a doctor for a normal mammogram check-up. When she returned for her follow-up however, something not-so-normal was flagged. Gulwadi was diagnosed with stage 2A breast cancer.

“I was pretty much in disbelief,” said Gulwadi.“I was all into organizing and getting prepared for the semester, and it was all of a sudden. It was also a very surreal feeling because you don’t believe it’s happening to you.”

Gulwadi underwent 9-10 months of treatment, which started with her first surgery in August 2012. Her first of 16 chemotherapy infusions followed in September. Her chemotherapy ended in March of 2013 and her last few surgeries took place in June.

Even though Gulwadi’s breast cancer is now gone, she said there is no guarantee she won’t go into remission. Doctors have told her to be aware of any little thing that might be a concern.

“All of us have things that are going on inside of us and there are no guarantees. But I feel fine and am going ahead with things as if nothing is wrong with me,” said Gulwadi.

For Gulwadi, battling cancer was an opportunity to be positive about what she has been given.

“I remember once seeing a husband and wife who were both diagnosed with breast cancer. They just had the most positive outlook. Not to trivialize it, but I think just having a positive approach and using humor as a way of coping, it just felt right to me,” said Gulwadi.

She said staying positive through the whole experience also helped her friends and family deal with it. Friends helped by giving her children rides to school, sending articles on how to speak with children about cancer and bringing over meals.

“After the diagnosis and soon after, I truly felt just the outpouring of support,” said Gulwadi. “I don’t really like a lot of attention on myself, but at that time I felt so supported. This was the universe trying to tell me how cherished I am.”

While Gulwadi received information on how her body would change on the outside, she was more concerned with how it would change on the inside and what she could do to help her body cope with the cancer.

Gulwadi took matters into her own hands and went on a vegan diet to test the effects of nutrition on cancer. Afterward, she noticed a change in her body.

“I do feel really good about some of my dietary changes, but has it helped? We don’t know, but as long as I feel good. My body is a system and I can’t just look at the medicines.”

Through it all, Gulwadi said she believes she got breast cancer for a reason.

“In a strange way, the whole cancer journey, life seems better after it. You start to notice all of the good things,” said Gulwadi. “You have a much more positive outlook on life. Every morning when I get up I try to think about what is my purpose. I am looking forward to a great future.”