Panthers take down Bulldogs, move to 21-9 overall

COLIN HORNING, Sports Editor

The first place UNI volleyball team took on their in-state rival Drake University on Friday night in a matchup of Missouri Valley Conference foes. The Panthers continued their winning ways to take down the Bulldogs in three straight sets for the sweep to move to 21-9 overall.

Head coach Bobbi Petersen commented on the team’s ability to overcome adversity throughout various opponents in the season.

“Some of the matches definitely have an emotional impact on our team,” Petersen said. “Losing to Illinois State at home definitely had an impact like that for us. Our game against Bradley was definitely one where they kept the ball alive like it was nothing, but for our team to come back against that and to have those moments definitely demonstrates where we are overall as a team.”

UNI’s dominance of Drake was extended to 47 consecutive victories, also moving their conference record to 15-1 on the season for first place in the MVC with only two games left before the MVC Tournament, which will be held at the McLeod Center this season.

Senior Karlie Taylor led the way for the Purple and Gold against the Bulldogs with her 17 kills, followed by Kate Busswitz with 12.  Fellow senior Rachel Koop moved into eighth all-time in UNI assist history with 43 assists in the game.  True freshman Kaylissa Arndofer added 11 kills to go along with three blocks on the night.

The Purple and Gold will return home for their final home stand of the season, playing two games against conference opponents before the MVC Tournament.

The Panthers will host Loyola-Chicago on Friday, Nov. 22 and Valparaiso on Saturday, Nov. 23 to close out the regular season.

UNI is in first place in the conference, and hosting the MVC Tournament at home will give the Panthers an extra advantage.