UNI Singers strive for vocal excellence

Ask a random University of Northern Iowa student in Maucker Union to name a singing group at this college and they are likely to say Men’s Glee Club.

UNI Singers may not be the most well-known group at UNI, but it is a group made up of many talented singers performing a wide variety of challenging choral pieces. The group has about a 50-to-50 ratio of males to females, covering the four main singing parts: bass, tenor, alto and soprano.

UNI Singers prides itself on its professionalism, striving to create “a professional level vocal training experience and a high standard of performing excellence,” according to the class syllabus.

Because all vocal majors are required to be in one large group ensemble, the group draws heavily from all of UNI’s vocal majors, but it still appeals to anyone looking to sing at a high level.

“I really enjoy singing, so I thought joining UNI Singers would a fun experience and it has really improved my ability as a vocalist,” said Bob Spielbauer, a freshman earth science major.

Adding to the appeal of UNI Singers is the group’s conductor, professor John Wiles. Wiles has a doctorate of musical arts in choral conducting from the University of Texas. Wiles has ample experience in both choral performance and being a choral conductor, according to the UNI School of Music webpage, but it is his approach that sets him apart as a conductor.

“I love how Dr. Wiles makes everything so fun,” said Josh Pannhoff, a freshman vocal education major. “He always relates a life story into every piece we do, allowing us to know the story and feel the emotions behind the music we are singing.”

“The pieces Dr. Wiles chooses are much more complex. There’s an emphasis on the meaning of lyrics and composition that makes it completely different from high school,” added Pannhoff.

“Individual and group expectations are raised tenfold (from high school), but like most hard work, it’s all worth it in the end,” said Ben Owen, a sophomore vocal music education and piano performance major.

UNI Singers meets Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 3:30-4:20 p.m. in Jebe Hall in the Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center.

They spend the first two or three minutes warming up and then spend the rest of the time learning their choral pieces. Due to the complexity of the music, UNI Singers typically only review two or three pieces per class.

This semester, UNI Singers will hold two concerts. The first is the Choral Collage Concert on March 7. For this concert, UNI Singers will work with up-and-coming composer Dwight Bigler from Virginia Tech University. The concert will showcase his music and also debut his new choral piece. The winning piece of UNI’s Choral Composition Contest will also be showcased.

The second concert is the American Voices concert on April 18. This concert will feature more contemporary pieces from American composers, including a piece featuring Walt Whitman’s poetry.

For those looking to join the group, auditions will be held in the fall of 2013. The audition often requires one to sing a solo or a well-known song as well as sight-sing (meaning auditioners will be given a piece of choral sheet music and will be asked to sing the melody as one reads it) but these requirements could change at Wiles’s discretion.
“If you want to join the group, go for it! However, previous experience in choirs and musical literacy are a huge plus in making the group,” said Owen.