UNI students beating hunger one t-shirt at a time

University of Northern Iowa students will show their support for more than just the men’s basketball team during the game against the Missouri State Bears on Tuesday, Feb. 5.

Sporting “beat hunger” shirts, students, alumni and members of the community will be aiding the Northeast Iowa Food Bank. All of the proceeds from the shirts go to the organization.

“This will be our fourth Beat Hunger. It was very much a learning experience for us during the first couple attempts because it takes so much time to get students familiar with your event, but we feel like we’ve come a long way,” said Blake Ruane, a senior English major and the UNI Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow program coordinator.

The event is a joint effort between UNI STAT, Connecting Alumni To Students, Panther Athletics and Service and Leadership programs.

With different shirt designs each year and increased student involvement, the groups involved with the organization of the event are very pleased with the progress made since the first year.

“I got involved with STAT through CATS,” said senior elementary education major and UNI STAT vice president, Nicole Wilson. “I have always been on that committee and love giving out t-shirts to students and seeing their excitement.”
UNI STAT was created in order to get students involved on campus and in the surrounding community by offering t-shirts to athletic events and discounts at more than 40 local businesses.

Ruane stated that far too many students were leaving campus with little knowledge of the UNI Alumni Association or how it could benefit them. Because of this, STAT was created to give students a preview of what it means to be a member of the UNI Alumni Association.

“I have been working at the Alumni House since I was a freshman, so I was able to get a behind-the-scenes look at how STAT worked and what it could do for me, both as a student and a future alum,” said Ruane. “I also recognized that STAT, as the largest student organization on campus, would allow me to interact with a variety of different students, and I was eager to get involved.”

Even though t-shirt sales are closed, students interested in getting involved with the event can bring canned goods to the Alumni House up until the game. There will also be barrels at each entrance to the game for donations.

Anyone who brings at least 10 items to the Alumni House between now and Feb. 5 will receive a lanyard and a page of coupons.

Those who bring in 15 or more items will have their choice between a Polar Bare Run t-shirt or an official Basketball Game Day t-shirt.