UNI students prove they have talent

Performers from all across the University of Northern Iowa’s campus simultaneously crawled out of the woodwork just after dark Friday to compete in “UNI’s Got Talent.” It was hosted in the Commons ballroom with both gift cards and the bragging rights as UNI’s most talented person on the line. The collegiate talent show of sorts was hosted by the Department of Residence’s

Programming board. There was no charge to compete or attend.

UNI’s Proboard puts on events like “UNI’s Got Talent” with a focus of getting people living on campus involved. Ashley Anderson, a senior communications major and Noehren representative on Proboard, has been involved with Proboard for three years.

“This year, we’re focusing on having different committees within Proboard. There’s a planning committee, an acquisitions committee which takes care of our money and how much we have throughout the year and an advertising committee. They are in charge of putting up advertisements for the event. The planning committee, which I was on, decorated, made sure the room layout was okay and that participants had water, the time it was going to be, where it was going to be, all of that,” she said.

According to Anderson, Proboard had little time to put on “UNI’s Got Talent.” Due to scheduling crunches, it was put together in about two weeks. All events by Proboard are funded through the Department of Residence, with some financial help from the Northern Iowa Student Government. The 20-30 students that make up Pro board come from every residence hall on campus.

“Right now, we’re actually in the process of planning two more of our events. We’re doing tailgating the week of Homecoming. That’s taking a lot of planning,” Anderson said.

“UNI’s Got Talent” worked in virtually the same manner as a common talent show. Three judges were placed at a long table on the left side of the designated performance area. A microphone stood on its stand in front of the audience, along with a stool for the nervous contestants to sit on, if they so chose to do so. Stackable chairs were placed in organized rows before the makeshift stage. Competitors were called up one at a time for their chance to vie for the grand prize.

Josh Colpitts, a freshman theatre performance major and avid guitar player, was one of those eager to get on stage. The song he wrote featured a cocktail of smooth vocals, catchy guitar rifts and a harmonica solo which received a few appreciative hollers from the audience.

According to Colpitts, the song was personal, about a guy and a girl whose relationship had come to an end. He was a bit worried as he was walking to the Commons, but the fears later melted away.

“I had performed in front of large audiences before, so I wasn’t as nervous as I thought I was going to be,” Colpitts said.

During the event, a wide range of acts were proudly showcased. Though many people were aspiring singers and songwriters, other talents were exhibited as well. One songwriter improvised a tune, taking suggestions from the audience. He sang about dinosaurs and “space monkeys” to the laughter and appreciation of the crowd. Another played a jazz saxophone solo with piano accompaniment. The female artist zipped through scales and chromatics, swaying and bending with the intensity and passion of the song.

Not even a half hour following her instrumental solo, the same student then proceeded to rap with her beat-boxing roommate about the Iowa State Fair. She was helping to pass the time while the judges meticulously deliberated. It took more than 15 minutes until they reached a highly-anticipated, conclusive decision.

The audience improvised a thigh-slapped drum roll to welcome the results. The rapping saxophone soloist received third place and a male songwriter took the runner-up prize. Winning “UNI’s Got Talent” was a singing duo, who performed Alicia Keys’s chart-topping hit “No One” which received a small standing ovation after its performance and a thunderous applause after being announced as the winner.

Though Colpitts didn’t win, he was still happy to participate.

“It was a great experience for all people who like to perform,” he said.

Anderson was both proud and excited after the event and hopeful for Proboard’s future.

“It went really well. This was actually our biggest Proboard event to date. We put out 190 chairs and all of them were full. I’ve been on for three years, and I think this is the biggest event I’ve ever seen us have,” she said. “I just hope each event goes as well as this one did, that we really start to get our name out there.”