UNI ties for 11th place in Arkansas

The University of Northern Iowa men’s golf team finished in a tie for 11th place at the Arkansas State University Red Wolf Intercollegiate Tuesday in Jonesboro, Ark. The team shot a combined 903, which was 46 strokes behind tournament-winner Austin Peay State University.

The Panthers were led by freshman Jacob Bermel, who shot a 74 in the final round of play. Bermel shot a 75 in the opening round of play Monday and managed to shoot back-to-back 74s in the final two rounds to close out the tournament with a total score of 223 and a tie for 31st place individually.

Following Bermel on the scorecard for the Panthers were Braden Gaal and Yarri Bryn, who each rounded out the event with a final score of 226 through three rounds of play, putting them in a tie for 45th place. Gaal also shot a team-low 72 in the second round of play Monday evening.

Rounding out the scorecard for UNI were Glenn Walls and Kyle Driscoll, who finished the tournament in 60th and 69th place, respectively. In the final round of play, Walls carded a 75 and Driscoll shot a 77.

With only a week off to practice and prepare, the Panthers will head to Columbia, Mo., to compete in the Columbia Orthopaedic Group Mizzou Intercollegiate hosted by the University of Missouri on April 8. A few weeks after that, the Panthers will partake in the Missouri Valley Conference Championships in Cape Girardeau, Mo., on April 29, where they look to top last season’s third-place finish.