UNISTA hosts third annual Stand-Up Comedy night

As cold rain spattered the pavement Saturday night, the unbeknownst audience sat warmly in the Strayer-Wood Theatre to enjoy the University of Northern Iowa Student Theatre Association’s Stand-Up Comedy Night.

UNISTA hosted the event for the third time and offered a laid-back environment for the audience and stand-up comedians. The seven performers which included Ben Schulz, Billy Hahn, Tom Willoughby, Liz Cook, Charles Hays, Tanner Randall and Adam Hobeiche, evoked many laughs from the audience throughout the night with support from hosts Nick Chizek and Diana Garles.

Current events such as the 10 percent budget cut, the “Balloon Boy,” the Russian ice-skating bear and the swine flu were just a select few of the themes procured by the comedians.

One performer, Ben Schultz, entered the stage wearing a blue and yellow Nesquik jacket, much to the laughter of the crowd. Later in his show, he played a piece entitled “Rabbit’s Wedding March,” in which he improvised several new chords on his keyboard. Another musical number was performed by Tom Willhoughby, who, after referencing Tupac, rapped using a random beat.

After the first act, host Diana Garles entered the stage, only to ignore the crowd and begin sweeping the floor with a dustpan and brush, explaining that the previous comedian had a “dirty act.” The hosts entertained the crowd between performances with beat boxing along with a few comic bits invoving various items such as saltine crackers and an acorn squash. Even Spongebob made a brief appearance.

UNISTA Vice President Sarah Williams encourages all students, not just theatre students, to participate in UNISTA events.

“This is an organization that lets students explore different theatre activities that concentrates an application basis; students come to the board and everything is what the students want to do,” Williams said.

Performer and UNI student Adam Hobeiche enjoyed the event.

“If you are thinking of comedy, it is a great first start and good audience,” Hobeiche said.

“I just started doing stand-up and plan to have some outside gigs at a few bars. I have always enjoyed comedy and theater; it is why I came back to school.”

Liz Cook, UNISTA member and director of the event, said she was horrified the first time she performed stand-up, only to find she had a phenomenal time.

“There is a lot of interest in stand-up, though few opportunities in the Cedar Falls area. Here, there is a low-key atmosphere for performers,” Cook said.

“The event was successful: made a profit, people enjoyed it. We want to host again next semester.”

UNISTA will be hosting more events to help service the community. For the upcoming show “Almost, Maine,” to be held Dec. 4-6, a winter article of clothing can be brought to get a $2 discount to help keep someone warm. The next event, “Monologue Slam” will be Nov. 16 and act as an open forum for students to work on monologues with others and receive feedback.

For more information, visit UNISTA’s website at http://www.uni.edu/theatre/unista/index.html.