Panther Portrait: BSU Skate Party

GABRIELLE LEITNER, Art Director | [email protected]

On Saturday, Feb. 15 from 6 to 9 p.m., the Black Student Union (BSU) held their annual skate party in the Wellness and Recreation Center (WRC). Students, faculty and community members were able to enjoy music and skating in the basketball courts courtesy of the student organization. The event falls in the middle of Black History Month, among several events held by BSU.

According to BSU President Paris Haywood, the skate party is special to her, as the annual event was her first exposure to the organization while living in Waterloo.

“The skate party is very special to me just because its one of the events that we really invite the community to come partner with us,” Haywood said. “We have a lot of high school students, a lot of teachers from the Waterloo community schools. It’s a really good time to partner and connect with those students, just get to know them. […] I’m from Waterloo myself so this was my first interaction with BSU before I even came to UNI and so it always had a positive mark on me and it was always just a fun time.”

BSU has several more events left during Black History Month, including Black and Educated (BAE) on Feb. 18 at 6 p.m., Tunnel of Oppression on Feb. 20 at 6 p.m., Soul Food Dinner on Feb. 23 at 11 a.m. and Toast for Change on March 1 at 5 p.m.