Student involvement parades Mauker Union Plaza

Soaking up warmth from the sun, students of the University of Northern Iowan mingled with representatives of some of the college’s student organizations last Wednesday.

UNI is home to over 250 different student organizations. Last Wednesday, 85 of them were on display for the annual student organization fair.

The Student Involvement Center, which oversees each of the school’s clubs, hosted the fair. 

“Students’ involvement helps them make friends as well as enhance their college experience as well as getting experience and get out of their rooms and possibly even work in the community,” Steffoni Schmidt, program coordinator of community service and Greek life said.

Each group made it their mission to draw the attention of students, new and returning, towards their organizations. Various religious groups from the area handed out refreshments and popsicles to passersby regardless of their interest in the groups themselves, which provided some relief from sweltering heat.

Caribou Coffee sent employees around with coffee-dispensing backpacks for anyone who wanted an energy boost.

As students left Maucker Union and turned towards the fair, they were greeted by officers of the UNI chapter of Habitat for Humanity, wearing the tool belts and hardhats they use at building sites. A few tables down, the UNI Ballroom and Swing Club showed off their moves with various members of the club making the sidewalk their dance floor for the afternoon.

“UNI Ballroom and Swing is a great way to meet new people and have fun.  No partner or experience is needed to join,” said Waiverly Daniels, sophomore early childhood education major. 

The Panther Pep Crew’s overalls and loud cheering were enough to draw plenty of attention. Groups such as the Pep Band and UNI’s student-managed radio station, KULT, drew people to their tables by playing music. 

The Campus Activities Board gave away t-shirts to those who chatted with their representatives. 

The women’s Rugby team threw around a ball, the chess club had three chess boards set up and would offer passersby to join in a game or two. UNI’s chapter of To Write Love on Her Arms, whose mission is to provide hope and help for people suffering with addiction, depression, self-injury and suicide brought a dog named Hope to the event to draw people in to hear their message.

Many groups ended the day with many interested parties and considered the day a success.