Branstad visits UNI campus

Iowa Governor Terry Branstad visited the University of Northern Iowa Thursday Sept. 11. as part of Branstad’s campaign for the upcoming midterm elections, 

Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds advocated for Branstad’s re-election. 

Branstad’s platform included policies that would make college costs more affordable and keep student debt down.

“Education has always been a top priority for me and it certainly is a focus we’ve had in this administration,” Branstad said.

Branstad referenced previous work while in office which included freezing tuition two years in a row.

Branstad applauded UNI President William Ruud for reducing student debt by 10 percent since Ruud became president.

“The more we can do to keep down the cost of education, the more we can do to help you to manage that better,” Branstad said.

Since being re-elected into office, Branstad helped turn a $90 million deficit into a surplus, said Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds. 

“He sets very, very ambitious goals,” Reynolds said. “We’re committed to making education more affordable, bringing down student debt and getting you more choice in your education.”

To keep UNI’s teaching program the best in the state, Branstad said $50 million will be phased into the teaching leadership program over the course of three years and there is a possibility of increasing the six-month student teaching requirement to a full-year requirement.

Branstad plans to work with legislature and the Board of Regents to reduce the cost of college education and help keep student debt down.

“We want to have policies that will build a bright and successful future and we especially want to make sure that there are great jobs available to you when you graduate,” Branstad said.

One potential policy to reduce college cost would provide students with the opportunity to earn certain Bachelor degrees for $10,000 by earning college credit in high school and taking online courses.

Reynolds said she and Branstad are optimistic about Iowa’s future as more young people are choosing to start a career in Iowa. 

“I’m super excited about the new education plan,” said Jessica Kautzer, senior in business administration management.

Kautzer sees the value of what Branstad has done while in office.

“He does a really good job of pointing out things we see everyday on the farm, on campuses, in businesses,” Kautzer said. 

Branstad and Reynolds both acknowledge there is more work for them to do.            

“We’re not done,” Branstad said.