Enrollment stats show overall decrease in students

A recent report issued by University Relations announced that UNI has a fall 2014 attendance of 11,928 students; attendance  is 1.9% down from the 12,159 students that attended last fall. 

That number is taken from the number of students that were enrolled through the end of the 10th day of classes. 

While the overall number decreased, there were several increases in percentages. The enrollment of new students directly out of high school increased by 4%.

“A top priority at UNI is recruiting and retaining students,” said UNI President Bill Ruud in the report. “We’ve had some success and we’re on the path to see more success as we implement and improve our enrollment management structure and process.”

With UNI’s decrease in enrollment, Iowa State University saw a 4.5% increase in enrollment, raising their student numbers to a record breaking 34,732. The University of Iowa reported an increase of 322 students, which brought their enrollment to 31,387 students according to the Des Moines Register. 

UNI also accomplished other important increases in enrollment. There was a 22.3% increase in international student enrollment as well as a 20.2% increase in new minority student enrollment. 

University Relations also boasted an extraordinary retention percentage in the number of students who returned for a second year, which was 84.7%. That is thirteen percent higher than the national average and also the highest that it has been for 15 years. 

“We are… involving current UNI students to help recruit students from their hometown high schools; and expanding and strengthening our partnerships with Iowa community colleges,” said President Ruud on the retention rate. “All of this is done in an effort to continue to provide students an accessible, affordable and excellent education.”