Can’t rain on our parade

Panther fans fought the rainy weather Saturday morning to support the renewed installation of the homecoming parade.

The University of Northern Iowa’s homecoming parade has been out of commission the past seven years. 

The parade tradition was welcomed back with open arms by students, alumni and Cedar Falls residents who braved the rain.

President Ruud requested the return of the parade, which was planned by the UNI Alumni Association.

Ruud appointed Lelsi Prideux, director of Alumni Association, to chair the homecoming committee.

The parade started at 11 a.m. Saturday near Gilchrist and went around campus, down College Street to 23rd Street.

Although those riding the floats were not allowed to throw candy to the crowd, the parade was considered quite a treat. 

Erin Conlan, sophomore deciding major, was one of the many students and Cedar Falls residents who packed sidewalks to see different organizations in the parade.  

“I think it’s a great thing. I don’t really understand why it’s been gone because it helps bring the community together,” Conlan. “I, for one, do not have the most Panther spirit, but the parade got me out and involved.”  

She believes the parade is a great thing for this university and is an essential part of our homecoming. 

The day of the parade started dry but rainy weather tried to dampen the Panther Pride. Many people were prepared for the weather and had umbrellas.  

Those in the parade floats were not as prepared but still marched with smiles on and heads held high.   

“The rain was kind of an issue but it was fun.  We got drenched for the kids,” said Natalie Rork, junior public relations major and part of the Dance Marathon float.