“Quest” to promote racial justice

ELIZABETH KELSEY, News Editor

The UNI administration has announced an upcoming six-week program promoting racial justice in the Cedar Valley and is calling for contributions and/or nominations from faculty, staff and students.

Provost Jim Wohlpart announced the program, Cultivating Justice: A 6-Week Quest Toward Racial Equity, in an email to the campus community on Friday, Sept. 4.

“For 400 years the burden and trauma of inequity has impacted our communities,” Wohlpart wrote “We must consciously commit to making anti-racism the default practice at UNI, in the Cedar Valley, and beyond.”

The Quest, as Wohlpart referred to the program, will bring together members of the UNI and Cedar Valley communities to “explore race, power, and privilege as well as to organize, advocate, and act in ways that promote racial justice and activate systemic change in our communities.”

In preparation for the program’s launch in Jan. 2021, UNI is seeking contributions, such as research articles, essays, podcasts, videos, performances, events, artwork, activities and/or worksheets that engage issues surrounding racial equity. Applicants are encouraged to submit work that is already in process or completed. Nominations of local people and/or organizations engaging in social justice work are also encouraged.

Contributions and nominations must be made by Oct. 1, and may be submitted at https://uni.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_01JAgEWwOLMB4Lb. Submissions will be reviewed through a peer review editorial process.

Submitted and reviewed materials will be featured on the Quest website, which will be divided into three categories: knowledge, skills and renewal. According to Wohlpart’s email, each category’s materials will help  participants connect with local activism opportunities, practice anti-racist skills and advocate for policies and structures that  support systemic change.

Although Quest materials will be publicly available, participants also may register for a guided program. Among other features, participants will receive weekly emails to “inspire, motivate and guide them on their Quest.” Small groups, such as classes, student organizations or local businesses are encouraged to complete the Quest together.

Cultivating Justice: A 6-Week Quest Toward Racial Equity is being led by Dr. Danielle McGeough, Associate Professor of Communication and Media. For more information, contact [email protected].