Panel spotlights health care careers

NICK BAUR

With the spotlight this year on the many scientific, medical and health professions, UNI offered a great opportunity for community members and students to learn more about these careers, specifically at UNI.

On Thursday, Sept. 5, the UNI Department of Academic Affairs orchestrated a conference focused on presenting the many health careers found here on campus.

The meeting of faculty and students hoped to provide more nuanced information related to the health career paths and majors offered at UNI as well as provide firsthand experiences relating to these majors and career paths.

Keeping with the campus’ social distancing guidelines in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the health panel took place on a Zoom video call rather than congregating for an in-person panel. The panel, which was spearheaded and mediated by STEM coordinator Marcy Seavey,  was open to the public. Several students and community members were in attendance.

Health and medical majors represented during the virtual gathering included biology, chemistry and biochemistry, public health and education, communication sciences and disorders and kinesiology. The Zoom video call featured current and former UNI students that have either graduated with these health-related degrees or are currently pursuing said degrees at UNI.