Experience college on your own

To The Class of 2018, congratulations!  You made it!  

I’m sure at this point, you’ve heard just about everything.. You’re discovering how this whole “college thing” works. It can seem daunting initially, but once you get settled into a routine it will go smoothly.      

After my first year, I was given an open letter to freshmen. At the time I remember wishing I had read it sooner. It’s been a few years since then, and though it’s already a few weeks into the term, I figured there were prevalent points I could share.  

You finally have control over your decisions. While it may feel incredibly liberating to skip your 8 a.m. class, remember you’re paying for it. It’s important to attend  (you really are here for an education).  Participate in class discussion! It’s actually not that scary and you’ll probably learn more by doing so.  

Don’t use Facebook as a crutch. Or Twitter. Or Instagram. Take time to cultivate yourself offline.

UNI boasts 250+ student organizations and clubs. Try some out! Pursue some pre-established interests, but don’t forget to do some exploring. College is a vital period of discovery.        

Ask for help when you need it. Ask for help even when you don’t think you need it. The RA of your residence hall, your academic advisor, your professors and on-campus tutoring services are all resources available.

Homesickness is real… and it’s hard. Call your parents. They miss you, too. Please understand, it’s okay to be sad. It’s okay to still be sad. UNI has a wonderful counseling service located on the second floor of the campus Health Center. Eventually, it will get easier. Before you know it, you will have a university family and everything won’t seem nearly as difficult.    

You are living in the real world. It’s happening right now, all around you. College is helping you prepare for a particular part of your life, but don’t forget the value of genuine experience.   

Never apologize for having an opinion. Also remember, just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right. Be open to new perspectives and become a critical thinker. College is just as much a time of growth for you as it is for others. 

There are over 90 majors at UNI; it’s okay to change your mind! College is about figuring out who you are.  Change it as many times as you need. Take full responsibility for your happiness. Personal fulfillment has always and will only start with you.  

Right now, it all may seem impossible.  Let me put it into perspective:  you’re already a quarter way through your first semester. You can do this. College doesn’t need to be the “best four years of your life,” it just needs to be another stellar addition to your best life.

Love – 

A senior