Bringing fame to our backyard

Tickets sold almost as quickly as they were printed when CAB announced they booked a five-member a capella group, Pentatonix for a University of Northern Iowa show.

The Great Hall was abuzz with energy in anticipation as students and community members of all ages gathered for the concert Thursday night at Gallager Bluedorn Performing Arts Center.

“My favorite part was at the end when everyone started chanting “PTX” when they went off stage and then they came back onstage because we weren’t going to let them leave,” said Justin Moody, freshman communications major..

The group reached fame when they won the third season of NBC’s a capella competition, “The Sing-Off.” Pentatonix is comprised of Scott Hoying, Mitch Grassi, Kirstie Maldonado, Avi Kaplan and Kevin Olusola. 

The group covered a wide range of music, including Macklemore, Beyoncé, Fun. and other artists and songs. Two of the songs traced the progression of music itself (in the song “The Evolution of Music”) and the progression of an artist (in the song “The Evolution of Beyoncé). One of the members even performed an original song as he played cello and beat boxed. 

“They were amazing just because they don’t use any instruments and their voices sound just like background music,” said Justin Moody,  freshman communications major. “I had no idea what they were before the concert, actually. I just came in with an open mind and I’m leaving very pleased”

But Pentatonix didn’t magically show up on campus. Plenty of work went into getting the group to UNI. 

A big part of bringing Pentatonix to GBPAC had to do with the support of the student population. The partnership between Gallagher Bluedorn and CAB made it all possible, said Blake Argotsinger, the associate marketing manager at the GBPAC. 

“We always hope for our patrons to have great experiences when coming to the Gallagher Bluedorn,” Argotsinger said. “With a group like Pentatonix, who is extremely talented at engaging audiences on and off the stage, a wide array of audiences can come and enjoy the show,” 

CAB and GBPAC look for groups that will get the community energized. Pentatonix seemed to fit the mold with recent coverage on Good Morning America and their new album release, said Argotsinger.

“They were such a friendly group, I for one would be glad to have them back,” Argotsinger said.