Are you depressed?

The University of Northern Iowa’s Counseling Center will be offering free depression screenings to all students and staff on Oct. 8 at 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. No appointment or registration is necessary. 

The UNI Counseling Center is encouraging students experiencing panic attacks, suicidal thoughts, feelings of worthlessness or not like themselves, problems concentrating or difficulty adjusting to college to attend one of the screenings or can make an appoitment with a counselor, said Gretchen Honsell, counselor at the center.

1 out of 4 college students suffer from mental illnesses including depression and anxiety, but many cases go untreated. This could eventually lead to suicide or substance abuse according to Healthline.com.

“It’s not a matter if I should come but an ‘I wonder if’ situation,” Honsell said. 

The UNI Counseling Center’s mission is as follows: “to promote the personal development and psychological well-being of all students and to encourage a college environment that is conducive to growth and learning,” according to their website. 

They offer resources, including the screenings, in support of their mission.

The screening tests whether or not a person may be depressed, said Honsell. It will also briefly ask about disorders related to depression, including anxiety and bipolar disorder. 

At the screening, a speaker will present on depression and there will be a short video. 

Those who participate in the screening will be invited to meet with a counselor for a self-assessment based on their results.  

However, whether a student simply feels differently than they normally do or is going through a crisis, the counselors will set up a counseling appointment for anyone in need.

Counseling appointments explore what resources can help. Depending on the person and their situation, the next step could be finding a medication, attending counseling, or a combination of the two.

The counseling center will keep the information completely confidential, even from parents or family of the student if the student wishes to keep their results private. 

“No results will be shared to anyone except between the student and counselor unless the student gives written permission to give permission to anyone outside the counseling center” said Honsell.

The screenings will provide students with the opportunity to meet staff, see the counseling center or access additional information and resources Honsell said.

Students can call the student health center at any time. The counseling website offers many resources such as emergency/after hour phone numbers, online screenings, and additional information about mental health. 

The counseling center is above the health center building next to the Schindler Education Center. Counseling sessions are free to all students as the cost is covered in the student health fee.