“And I’m not talking about a lollipop”

The time to redeem ourselves from sin is now; repent and we shall be saved. This is the message evangelist, Brother Jed, his wife Sister Cindy and companion Sister Pat brought to the University of Northern Iowa students Wednesday afternoon.

In front of Rod Library students circled around the trio to hear their message and participate in arguing against their point.

Sister Cindy demonstrated a message she titles "The Chocolate Covered Bloody Tampon." Cindy preaches to students about the way sin affects their souls and life. To help illustrate this, Cindy uses feminine products with red coloring that hang from strings on a stick.

"I tell students sin is like chocolate: sin looks good until you bite into it, then it's disgusting like a bloody tampon," said Sister Cindy Smock. "You have the choice between the Bloody Christ and the bloody tampon."

The trio used signs which said "Ask me why you deserve hell," to convey that sexual sins student commit can condemn them to hell. 

While carrying around a crucifix, Brother Jed reminisced about his college days as a young man, who frequented sexual sin. He told the crowd he would look for women who smoked cigarettes.

"Anyone who would put a cigarette in her mouth . . . and we're not talking about lollipops," Jed said.

Brother Jed then professed consequences of homosexuality. Cory Anderson, sophomore management information systems major, offered Jed an opportunity to take a picture with him. After the picture was taken, Anderson attempted to lick Jed's face.

" He seems like a homophobe," Anderson said. "Based on what he is preaching, being gay automatically condemns you to hell."

The trio, based out of Terre Haute, Ind. regularly visit campuses around the nation, came from the University of Iowa, where they demonstrated this morning and plan to head to Nebraska for tomorrow, said Sister Pat.

Pat said their goal is to get students to repent their sins and help fight brainwashing that has taken over students in the classroom. Pat claims evolution classes would not talk about Jesus Christ, creation or god.

As a majority of the students who crowded around the demonstrators, some students saw their presence on campus as a good thing.

"I think what their doing is important," said Taylor Cook, junior psychology major. "If you really look at the Bible, [premarital sex, co-habitation] is not okay."

Cook, who is part of a college ministry, talked to a few students who voiced their opinions against the trio. To Cook, these students have modernized the Bible to what they think it should mean. 

"They claim to be Christians but they are laughing at them and mocking them," Cook said.

Sister Cindy took to demonstrating the promiscuity of college students with a male contraceptive. She claimed the contraceptive allowed students to sleep "with whomever, whenever and wherever."

Noah Hurley took to sitting down to participate in a "Brother Jed Bingo." Created by Illini Secular Students Alliance, Ill., the object of the game is to cross off any quotes or subjects either Brother Jed or Sister Cindy talk about.

Hurley said the group doesn't provoke thoughtful discussion and the bingo game is a way to have fun with what the group is doing.

Other students openly argued with any one member of the trio, pointed out holes in the argument they were giving.

"She says she doesn't sin, but that's a sin – harsh criticism, Matthew 5:22," said Cierra Floyd, freshmen undecided major.

As one member of the trio stood up on a concrete bench in front of Rod, the other two members spoke with students who were curious about their motives or who wanted to engage in debate. 

"I don't agree with what they're saying, but they should definitely be allowed to say it," Hurely said.