UNI-Dome to become voting site

NI Archives

The UNI Dome has been designated as a voting site for all residents of Black Hawk County. The stadium will be used both for early voting from Oct. 6-8 and general voting on Election Day, Nov. 3.

ELIZABETH KELSEY, News Editor

The UNI-Dome, which has been unusually empty this fall after the postponement of the Missouri Valley Conference football season, will soon take on a different life as the site of early and general election voting.

UNI announced on Tuesday, Sept. 22 that the UNI-Dome would be available to Black Hawk County residents as an early-voting site from Oct. 6-10. The stadium will also serve as a polling location during the general election on Nov. 3.

According to a press release, UNI administration and the UNI Athletics Department collaborated to offer the UNI-Dome as a voting site because the large stadium will allow voters to maintain social distancing while casting their ballot.

“There is no doubt that the UNI-Dome is a perfect voting site, and we are excited to be able to offer the space during this pandemic,” said UNI Director of Athletics David Harris. “We are also grateful to provide a convenient area for all UNI students and staff to participate in our democracy via early-voting. We are committed to doing everything we can to help our student-athletes and staff vote, and this will be a huge step in that endeavor.”

The UNI-Dome will be open as a voting site not just for students, but for all those registered to vote in Black Hawk County. Students and community members who need to register should visit sos.iowa.gov/elections/voterinformation/voterregistration.html.

“This gives students a chance to vote when it’s convenient for them before Election Day,” said Grant Veeder, Black Hawk County auditor and commissioner of elections. “You don’t have to worry about where you’re going to be on Election Day, if you have class all day, or if you’re sick. It’s a great way for students to schedule their own voting.”

The UNI-Dome will be open for voting on the following dates and times:

Tuesday, Oct. 6, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 7, 12-4 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 8, 3-7 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 9, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 10, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Nov. 3: 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.