Next Gen/Climate Change

Representatives from Next Gen boosted awareness at the University of Northern Iowa to get students involved with their cause and register to vote at a booth set up outside of Maucker Union Monday.

Climate change is the theory that our globe is getting warmer, which could result in extreme temperatures.

Next Gen, an organization dedicated to actively reduce climate change with an office based out of Des Moines, is working on getting elected officials into office who are pro-climate.

"I think a lot of times people take advantage of resources," said Katie Evans, senior political science major and president of college democrats at UNI's campus. "Those resources aren't always going to be there. 

Evans said Next Gen is striving for reducing carbon admissions and helping for a more governmental role in climate change. 

Press Secretary Dave Miranda said Next Gen is trying to get college students involved because climate change is the defining issue for this generation. Miranda also said it is an issue young people are going to have to deal with.

Students involved with the booth set up a miniature windmill to help draw in students.

"We're all about taking action on this," Miranda said. "We're finding students want to get involved."

At the booth, students learned about what climate change was, what Next Gen does and even had to opportunity to register to vote. 

"This is a bipartisan issue," Evans said. "We're all affected and [it] shouldn't be a bipartisan issue. "