Panthers look for first road win of 2014 season

The University of Northern Iowa football team heads to Vermillion, S.D. Saturday to take on University of South Dakota for their second road game to start MVFC play. UNI (2-3, 0-1 MVFC) has not picked up a road victory this season, culminating in all three of their losses away from Cedar Falls.

“Anytime you go on the road it’s tough,” said UNI head coach Mark Farley. “Sometimes the easiest places to play on the road are the ones that are packed.”

UNI started last season by winning their first four games, including wins against FBS Iowa State and then top-10 ranked McNeese State, before suffering a heartbreaking one-point loss to North Dakota State in their conference opener. The Panthers then went on to lose their next four conference games.

“I don’t want the highs and the lows, we just need a steady progression,” said Farley. “We just have to have that consistent growth. And that’s what we’re missing, the consistency more so than anything.”

UNI senior Ronelle McNeil has been a bright spot for the Panthers this season, leading the team in tackles for a loss with 7.5 and sacks with 3.5. McNeil started his career at UNI playing on the interior of the defensive line but has since been moved to the outside, playing more of a defensive end role this season.

“Each week he gets a little better,” said Farley. “He’s got the capabilities to drop into coverage as much as rushing.”

The Panthers fell to the Coyotes last season at home in double-overtime, 38-31. USD quarterback Kevin Earl threw for 370 yards and three touchdowns against UNI last season. Earl has been out the majority of this season with an injury suffered against Oregon in the season opener.

UNI will host a watch party in the UNI-Dome where fans will be able to watch the Panthers on their new 100 foot high-definition video board on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.