New screen draws Cedar Valley to turf

Lounging on the UNI-Dome field, students and Cedar Falls residents enjoyed watching Saturday’s football game against South Dakota University on the newly installed HD video screen.

Sponsored by Cedar Falls Utilities, Panther fans were invited to show their school spirit by participating in the UNI-Dome’s screening. They also enjoyed Hy-Vee catering and played games in a new way to utilize the dome’s field.

Panther trivia flashed across the big screen as game-goers celebrated CFU’s 20th anniversary with cupcakes.

“It’s a lifetime experience.” said Brian Gabel, general manager of Panther sports properties. “You don’t get to come to the field everyday.”

Children ran around playing bags, forms of volleyball and soccer and threw footballs, while others chose their ideal spot with blankets brought from home. 

To rally for the event, CFU ran commercials on t.v., social media outlets posted statuses and advertisements ran in the Courier, Gabel said. 

Alison Dandbulte, freshman biology major, heard about the Dome viewing from the last football game she attended and brought along her friend, Sydney Cindrich, freshman sports psychology major.

“Seeing everyone come and support UNI [is my favorite part],” Cindrich said.

Just outside of the designated eating and drinking area stood a bouncy castle to keep kids entertained before the game.  

As the Dome was open to everyone, fans who did not want to sit on the field began to fill stadium seats.

“You just don’t know who’s going to show up,” Gabel said.