Event will honor UNI student after passing

NI STAFF, NI Editors

A memorial event will be held tonight for a UNI student who passed away last week.

Isaac Roerig, a first-year music education major from Sioux City, Iowa, was killed Friday, Oct. 9 after being struck by a semi while outside of his car on Highway 20 near the Hudson Road overpass, according to KWWL.

The driver of the semi has been identified as James Ricke, 71, of Fort Dodge, Iowa, KWWL reported.

In honor of Roerig’s life, students and faculty from the School of Music and Panther Marching Band will hold a commemoration on Lawther Field on Monday, Oct. 12 at 7:30 p.m. All members of the UNI community may attend and are asked to wear a face covering.

The School of Music was one of several places in which the 19-year-old Roerig had “found a home” at UNI in his few months on campus, according to a campus-wide email sent Saturday, Oct. 10. He was also involved at St. Stephen the Witness Catholic Student Center and within his residence hall.

“He had numerous high school friends, also at UNI, who are grieving his loss,” wrote Vice President for Student Affairs Paula Knudson in the email. “They describe him as ambitious and talented – a student who worked really hard on his drumming skills and was a great friend. They want to thank him for being a bright light for all and for him to know that he is loved.”

For those seeking support in processing this tragedy, Knudson’s email offered multiple resources. Students may call the Counseling Center at (319) 273-2676 at any time and press #2 to speak with a counselor, or visit the Counseling Center between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (emergency walk-in appointments available).

The Dean of Students ([email protected])can support students seeking assistance in balancing grief, academic and other personal obligations, while faculty and staff are encouraged to access EAP Services for support.