Pete Lee-ving in the moment

On Tuesday evening, comedian Pete Lee performed his random and monotone style of comedy in the Commons Ballroom in Mauker Union amidst series of groans and fits of laughter. 

“I find it amusing,” Lee commented as his show commenced, “I didn’t get accepted here but they asked me to be a guest lector here.”

He kicked off his act by bouncing over topics that related to UNI students such as the interesting décor of the lights and floor pattern, then over to drugs, Ebola  and regional, accents particularly comparing Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin 

“Our corn and cows are better than your corn and cows,” Lee said in a Minnesotan accent. 

“He was really random,” Molly Lembezeder, freshman elementary education major said. “But it was a good study break. He gives good advice.”

The advice to which Lembezeder refers could be seen in his ‘cheat-codes for women,’ his non-masculine bathing habits where he strives to “smell like a unicorn that farts Altoids” and comparing college sex to throwing the ingredients necessary to make a cake into the oven then hoping a cake doesn’t turn out.

His style of comedic presentation reached different types of audiences when he told various jokes or stories, which led to reactions rippling through the roughly 100 people at different times.   

“I thought it was funny,” said Alexa Klimes, sophomore communication and disorders major. “CAB does a really good job of bringing people here with lots of good activities.”

His message focused on people being happy with their lives, wherever they are. When he was joking about bringing cookie dough down to Hell when he died or feeding birds Nyquil and Red Bull, his motto was always focused on having fun and living in the moment. 

He assured that the audience would remember him with his final pieces of advice, “Don’t ever drink alcohol; the side effects include getting laid and having friends.” 

He closed his show by inviting all of the audience over to Wal-Mart to shoplift because, “they can’t catch all of us, only one or two of the slow ones.” 

His departing thought for the evening promoted the audience to go out and have a selfie taken with him. 

“Remember there are two types of people in this world,” Lee said, “Type-A people and those who want to have fun.”