Minute Majors

“When we started the event, we started with five minutes only. When students filled out evaluation forms, they said the time was too short to talk with the seniors. So we kept raising the minutes until we reached seven minutes,” Tudor said. “We do not want the time to be too long [but] not too short.”

Tudor pointed out that Majors in Minutes is not just for freshmen, but also for all students who may want help looking at different majors.

“The event was first meant for freshmen students to pick a major, but now there are more sophomores and juniors coming to consider a minor, also,” said Maddison Jansen, junior public relations major.

Jean Neibaur, director of academic advising, said Minutes provides students with an opportunity to look at a broader future.

“Majors in Minutes is providing not only majors and minors for undergraduate students, it helps them to look over and ask about certain certificate[s] they are looking for,” Neibauer said. 

Corbyn Mellinger, senior physics major, advised for the physics major table and spoke with students about the exciting features of the physics department.

“I really like physics . . . it is about exploring. People do not realize how it is interesting until you look at. It is in everyday around us such as how cars engine work,” Mellinger said.

Representatives from almost fifty majors for undergraduate students attended the yearly Majors in Minutes event this past Tuesday. 

The event was hosted by the academic advisory office.

Seniors had seven minutes to provide information about their majors to undecided or curious students.

“I rate Majors in Minutes as 10 out of 10, and I absolutely recommend it to undecided major students,” said Elizabeth Denniston, freshmen criminology major. “I find it really helpful to get in Majors in Minutes and talk to people with experience in their field.”

Angie Tudor, an academic advisor who helped organize the event, said UNI has held Majors in Minutes for six years and each year it grows.