Guest column

Due to our responsibilities at home, work or school and the constant pressure to meet deadlines, it is easy to lose sight of the little things in life that create joy for the people who positively impact our lives on a daily basis. 

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it is a perfect time to reflect on the many things in our lives we are grateful for. 

Taking the time to appreciate the positive aspects of our lives instead of dwelling on what we do not have can provide many life-changing benefits. 

In fact, according to the leading scientific expert on gratitude, Dr. Robert Emmons, gratitude can reduce stress/anxiety, improve our health, strengthen relationships, promote forgiveness and, best of all, make us HAPPIER!! If we view the hardships in life as experiences that show us not to take life for granted, our gratefulness can be more profound. 

Knowing all of this, how do we really go about becoming more grateful? Dr. Emmons has provided us with simple strategies to incorporate more gratefulness into our lives. 

To begin, he recommends starting a gratitude journal.  Make time each day to journal about the moments in life that bring you joy, the people who you value the most and the gifts and opportunities that you have been granted.  

While journaling, ask yourself three important questions: “What troubles and difficulties have I caused?”, “What have I received from…?” and “What have I given to…?” 

In order to initiate thoughts of gratitude, use visual reminders such as pictures of valued people in your life or sticky notes with gratitude quotes in highly visible locations. 

Additionally, it is to your advantage to reflect on the difficult times in your life and how far you have come since then. This can help you to more greatly appreciate the present moment. 

To guide you in the fulfillment of this new habit of expressing gratitude, write a personal gratitude oath, such as “I promise to never let the things I want make me forget the things I have.” Post this somewhere where you will see it each day, for instance, by your bed, on a mirror, on your desk or on the background of your cell phone. 

Grateful individuals are also  very conscious of their language and the verbiage they use to communicate with others. Aim to incorporate more language and motions of gratitude in your daily correspondences with friends, family and co-workers. This could signify using words like givers, blessed, abundance, blessings and fortunate.  

Use grateful motions such as saying thank you, smiling, writing letters of gratitude and giving someone at least one compliment daily. Lastly, think outside of the box and be your own gratitude investigator in which you consciously search for new situations in which to feel grateful.

You can start practicing gratitude right here on campus by walking the labyrinth! Drop by the Mauker Union, Central Ballroom B on Nov. 11 between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. 

The labyrinth is in the form of a circle with a meandering, but purposeful path from the edge to the center. While walking the labyrinth, one may feel joy in slowing down the pace of life, finding peace, insight, reflection, creativity, relaxation and wisdom.         

The labyrinth can also be made available for student organizations, events, and meetings! For more information, contact Joan Thompson with Student Wellness Services at [email protected]

Finally, think about each of these quotes to give yourself positive motivation!

An anonymous individual states: “Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip toe if you must, but take that step.”

According to the writings of Dr. Seuss, “When you think things are bad, when you feel sour and blue, when you start to get mad . . . you should do what I do . . .Just tell yourself, Duckie, you’re really quite lucky! Some people are much more…oh, ever so much more . . . oh, muchly much — much more unlucky than you!”

-Shawna Haislet, Health Promotion Coordinator, Student Wellness Services