Teachers tomorrow

The University of Northern Iowa is known for it’s strong student teaching program. So when UNI applied to take part in a more intensive student teaching experience, students at UNI took the opportunity.

Last fall the State of Iowa offered a grant proposal to pilot a year-long student teaching program. 

This program is to determine whether a year-long program would be more beneficial for future teachers and their potential students.

James Cryer, coordinator of elementary teacher education and project coordinator for the program, has been working with 21 UNI students who have chosen to be part of this trial program.

To fund this program, UNI received $530,000 said Cryer. 

The goal of the State, Cryer said, was to determine if a student coming out of their program of study is on the same par as a second-year teacher.

“It could be very exciting for students to get to experience of opening a classroom and getting to know the students,” Cryer said.

Currently, UNI requires students in the teaching program to participate in a 28-week student teaching practicum split between two different schools. The pilot program monitors student teachers in one classroom year round.

This will allow students to observe the classroom, co-teach with the teacher and see other responsibilities of teaching as well as add up to about 300 hours of teaching experience compared to 50 hours that take place in a semester-long course. 

Brady Calow, senior elementary education major, enjoys the amount of experience he has received student teaching at Hudson elementary school while participating in the pilot program. 

“It was great to see how a classroom is set up and operated at the beginning of the year,” Calow said. “If I were to come in half way through the year and all rules and tendencies would have already been decided.”

Cryer said the pilot program is more like an extended field experience, rather than students teaching in the classroom year-round as students are not at their school every day, all day like student teaching.

Some concerns that have come out of the pilot program include balancing students’ class load and schedules with putting in adequate time in the classroom. Even the relationship between UNI student teachers and their classroom teachers is something to take into consideration.

“If it’s not done well, you know, you might be put with someone you don’t really match with,” Cryer said. 

Natalie Reeder, senior elementary education major, came into the program hoping her experience in the classroom would benefit her as a teacher and her students. 

“I feel like I’m already ready to jump into a first-year teaching position,” Reeder said.

To track the progress of the program, students involved with the study are required to take surveys, journal and reflect upon their time in the classroom. This information will be turned into the State of Iowa once the program is complete. 

So far, some students have begun to feel ready to take on the teaching world.

“I think I can handle a classroom. . . no problem,” Reeder said. “I would totally recommend it.”

-Amber Rouse contributed to this article.