Change the system if you don’t like it, you matter

Regardless of where I have been in life, I have always known I matter. I am important to God, my family, close friends and myself. I have also taken note how much other people matter, even my so-called enemies. I do not always agree with people but I value them to a degree because they help me learn and grow.

It is saddening and hypocritical of some people saying their opinion, vote or values do not matter to others and that they do not contribute to change. We are the current innovators of change, millennials especially. 

Think of all the rights you are granted because you matter. Think of all the people who worked for your rights because you are important. Black leaders and courageous women fought for my right to vote, to get an education. As far as I am concerned, I am indebted to them. That is enough reason for me to take advantage of my constitutional rights, voting being a relevant example. 

People do not work hard against injustices so you can sit and pout because you think your vote or opinion will not make a difference. Of course, it is your prerogative to make such choices. 

People say the system is screwed up. 

A) If the system is screwed up, help change that and B) if it is so screwed up to the point of which you forfeit, you should not be living any part of the modern American way. 

You want to reap the benefits then complain about things when they are not to your advantage. That pessimistic attitude will not get you far, as I am sure you know. For example, minorities tend to not care about gun control until the headlines are filled with the blood-splatter of their people. This issue leads back to “the system” in which we have a say in changing.

If you think you do not matter, go ahead and let the negativity control your being. However, never tell someone else they do not matter especially when they are contributing to the change and betterment of life you wish to not join. Nothing frustrates me more than someone demeaning the existence of my fulfilling life. At minimum, do not bring others down with you.

If you think you do not matter as a citizen, regardless of party or any other identity you affiliate with, then maybe you are screwing yourself out of the system. After all, why should anyone take your needs seriously when you do not even think others’ needs are worth it? Because other people think you are important, that is why.