Rental talks continue

Cedar Falls City Council members listened to recommendations Wednesday night presented by a City staff member which propose possible changes in rental units near and around the University of Northern Iowa’s campus. 

Richard McAlister, director of administrative services for the City of Cedar Falls, pitched  the regulation recommendations to the City Council created by a Task Force and City staff members earlier this fall.

These recommendations propose further regulation of rental units in R-1, R-2, R-1SF and MU and RP districts. 

Roughly, those districts cover area from University Ave. up to First St. and College St. to Main St., a popular area for University of Northern Iowa students to rent off-campus apartments from landlords.

“The problems Cedar Falls is dealing with is the same problems of any other college town,” McAlister said in an earlier interview with the Northern Iowan.

Problems surrounding single-family rental units include capacity of the number of tenants living in a dwelling, crowded parking lots and street parking and upkeep of rental properties.

One of the recommendations that will directly affect students renting off-campus housing includes implanting a permit system that will allow carrying capacity to relate to number of tenants allowed to rent. 

McAlister said lots with a lot-width of less than 70 ft. and less than 8,000 sq. ft. may hold no more than three unrelated individuals; lots with a lot-width of greater than 70 ft. and more than 8,000 sq. ft. may hold no more than four unrelated individuals. 

Recommendations also include implementing a landlord educational program to help maintain their property and abide by city ordinances. 

“This is meant to be a starting point . . . a starting point of a process,” McAlister said. 

It is unclear at this point when or if these recommendations will be implemented. 

Fred Abraham, department head of economics at UNI and task force member, said he hopes the ordinance will be in place by this summer; however, changes in renting units won’t occur until the property changes ownership.

“Students aren’t going to be affected,” Abraham said. “Trust me.”