Snow and soup for Veterans Day

Although this year’s Veterans day experienced some snowfall, the University of Northern Iowa’s chapter of Kappa Sigma took advantage of the chilly weather to host a luncheon honoring men and women who have and are serving their country.

Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Wesley Foundation, members of the fraternity served soup and sandwiches accompanied with beverages as part of their philanthropy to the Military Heroes Campaign.

The veterans luncheon, which offered raffle prizes, was the first event of its kind for Kappa Sigma to host.

“With this being the first event, it could be hit or miss,” said Alex Boyer, senior leisure, youth and human services major. Boyer is also a member of Kappa Sigma. 

Boyer, who is excited to give back to his community, said the Wesley Foundation and the Isle Casino helped fund the event by donating food and drinks.

Members of other fraternities, sororities and students around campus were welcomed to come to the luncheon to support Kappa Sigma and veterans of the UNI community.

Donning an American flag scarf, Christen Brodbeck, junior communications major and member of the sorority Alpha Xi Delta, came to the luncheon to show her appreciation of veterans.

“I have family in the military, so Veterans Day is important to me,” Brodbeck said.

Other members of Kappa Sigma were excited about the event to help build not only connections with veterans, but also to put some of their skills into practice.

Tony Jones, senior social studies teaching major and Kappa Sigma member, attended a leadership conference over the summer, which helped hone reputation-building skills. 

“[We’re] moving forward on campus, getting more involved,” Jones said.

To help raise awareness for the event, Kappa Sigma members promoted the luncheon to student groups, the ROTC, UNI Public Relations and veteran groups in the Cedar Valley. 

Raffle items were donated to the luncheon by local businesses and Cedar Valley community members.

“I feel like our generation is thought of as ungrateful. . . we should be the most grateful,” Brodbeck said.