Book Bistro to extend hours

Having met with success so far, Rod Library’s Book Bistro will extend their hours starting this semester’s finals week  through spring semester. 

Currently, the Book Bistro is open Monday through Friday 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Chris Kenaga, retail manager, said the new hours will be 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Fridays for spring semester. 

The café will conduct business 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. during fall semester finals week. 

The Book Bistro is located on the main floor of Rod Library by the west entrance facing the Campanile. Its opening mid-September introduced several changes to the library’s layout. The renovated space includes closed-captioned TVs, new furniture and the new home of the CFPL @ UNI Collection and newspapers. 

The café is regularly occupied by a variety of students, faculty and staff during lunchtime hours. Erica Schwartz, liberal studies major and employee at the Book Bistro said a lot of students come to the Book Bistro.

The Bistro serves daily specials, high-end grilled cheese, tea drinks and unique desserts as well as soup, sandwiches, coffee and assorted take-and-go items. 

According to Schwartz, if a student wants to add or take something out of an item on the menu, they will try to accommodate the request. The Bistro strives to satisfy students through speed and quality. 

Chris Kenaga, the retail manger, mentioned he is pleased with feedback from students, the amount of sales and the menu. 

The idea for The Bistro café was conceived through the collaborative efforts of the Department of Residence and the dean of Rod Library. DOR wanted to meet the needs of studying students who needed snacks or drinks.

“There are approximately one hundred students coming to Book Bistro daily. I believe that there may be more students coming…[were the] Book Bistro open for more hours,” Kenaga said.