From the sidelines

McLeod Center’s basketball court echoed with empty seats and an absence of hoops on a brisk Friday afternoon. However, it is filled with hopes, goals and the excitement of expected cheering fans for one University of Northern Iowan student.

UNI women’s basketball team can look forward to a promising season as Brittni Donaldson, senior math major and guard on UNI’s basketball team, has set high goals and even higher standards for herself and the rest of the team.

Growing up in Sioux City as an only child, Donaldson recalls wanting to play college basketball from the age of five but it wasn’t until playing in high school she began to get serious. Using spare time to put in individual workouts and extra time to improve her skills, Donaldson hoped she would catch an eye of a college scout. 

And catch one she did. UNI gave Donaldson an offer she couldn’t refuse.

“It was really a big honor when they offered me a scholarship. I didn’t take it for granted, I was really excited,” Donaldson said. “When I got here I knew it wasn’t going to be easy, nothing was going to be handed to me.”

Donaldson knew the transition from playing high school basketball to playing college ball would mean even more work, more time on and off the court to help carry the women’s team to success. This included bumping up hours put in to practices, weight rooms and individual time with coaches

With time and dedication Donaldson, who is currently nursing torn cartilage in her knee, hopes to help lead the team into conference play and a possible title through instilling confidence and being a role model for her teammates.

“A lot of us have the skills, good players, but some of us don’t have the confidence we should have, we get down on ourselves, which is easy to do at this level,” Donaldson said. “The girls seem to feel comfortable coming to me for help or advice . . . I want to keep it that way.”

One way Donaldson sees the team leaning towards success is starting off this season with better starting games, which means building up toughness to catch more rebounds and being the first to dive on basketballs.

“All of us are hungry, you know, we know we can be successful, we know we can contend for a conference championship. We just have to put action to our words,” Donaldson said.

So far, the women have won their first game but lost the next four. Despite more losses than wins Donaldson can always count on her network to have her back.

There to support Donaldson, first and foremost, is her family. Donaldson said her parent have come to every single game, whether it is home or away. Even Donaldson’s high school sends her congratulatory and encouraging texts to let her know he is looking out for her.

However, there has been a great system that reaches from the community.

“We have those people who come to every single game and support us through the good and the bad. We really appreciate those people, more than they probably know,” Donaldson said.

But it’s not all work and no play. In her spare time, Donaldson strums away stress by playing guitar. 

Donaldson, who owns an acoustic and electric guitar and a ukulele, taught herself to play guitar in high school. Although she has begun to play in front of her friends, Donaldson said she gets nervous playing for larger crowds. 

The difference between playing basketball in a gym housing hundreds of fans versus playing guitar: her team members.

“I’m out there with my whole team and not all the eyes are just on me,” Donaldson said.

But there are eyes focused on just Donaldson. Parents who have children who look up to Donaldson pay attention to how she conducts herself on and off the court and aren’t afraid to approach her about it.

One of Donaldson’s greatest compliments have come from parents telling her their “daughters want to be just like you,” and “my daughter looks up to you,” which means more to Donaldson than a pat on the back for a good game.

Bouncing among classes, practices, games, studying and setting a model example for others, Donaldson agrees that time and dedication is what makes her time at UNI filled with memories and success.

“If you work hard and shut out what everybody else is saying, their expectations, you know, you can do pretty great things,” Donaldson said.

As Donaldson left McLeod, the unmistakable sound of a dribbling basketball could be heard down the corridor.